Sending emails sounds like a task that should be a cakewalk. However, looks can be deceiving. The more email messages pile up in your inbox, the harder it is to keep up with reading or responding to them. Nothing’s more frustrating than losing hours out of your day trying to sort through dozens of emails, one at a time. And it’s even more overwhelming to know that you have to pay attention to important information contained in each message. No matter how much you might want to procrastinate or avoid using email altogether, the fact is that emails are an essential part of business and life in general. The more you understand how to use email efficiently, the more you will ultimately gain from your communication overall.
Here are a few tips on how to make the most out of email:
- Write Concise Subject Lines – The way an email is titled serves as the first introduction a reader will have to your message. A vague subject line is easy to ignore, especially if a reader has no time to spare. Always make sure email subject lines are simplified and articulate.
- Understand Your Recipients – The way you format an email message depends entirely on your target audience. Some messages should be casual, whereas others should be formal. Adjust your approach in a way that allows your relationship with the reader to be organic.
- Always Do a Spell Check – Nothing distracts readers more than typos or errors. The more mistakes an email has, the more its message becomes undermined. No matter how much of a hurry you might be in, always take the time to thoroughly proofread your messages.
- Sort your Messages into Folders – Instead of allowing messages to pile up into a tangled haystack in your inbox, create custom folders in your account which make it possible to archive messages according to specific categories. This makes it easier to find old messages, and it also declutters your account.
- Schedule How Often You Log In – If your email account has hundreds of messages in it on a regular basis, logging in to catch up can feel like climbing Mt. Everest. The only way to efficiently read through high volumes of emails is to dedicate a set number of hours towards this task. Schedule email-reading time at least once a week, and then allow yourself to do other things once this appointment has passed.
Sometimes the simple things in life are more complicated than they seem. If the thought of managing your email provokes negative emotions at all, take a moment to think about whether you can address this sentiment in a constructive way. Being methodical usually does the trick. Instead of spontaneously checking your email, develop a system that allows you to stay organized while connecting with others naturally. If you like what you just read from our blog, you’ll love the various informative workshops and events listed on our website and social media. Whether you’re interested in personal development, or overall improvement of your business, give us a call at 1 (888) 823-7757 to find out how The RISE Programs Academy for Business Coaching and Leadership Training can help you break past your daily struggles and start soaring in success.