Did you know that pancakes are a delicacy that has existed since the Stone Age? Researchers trace origins of the pancake back to prehistoric humans who would mix crude flour from cattails and ferns, then blend it with water and bake this batter on heated rock. Generation after generation since then has improved on this basic concept to yield the delicious treat we now commonly recognize as pancakes. If you’re trying to eat healthy this holiday season, or you’re just looking to mix things up with some new flavors, here’s a recipe for Flaxseed Oatmeal Pancakes that’s sure to amaze your taste buds:
1/3 Cup of Whole Wheat Flour.
3 Tablespoons of Quick-Cooking Oats.
1 Tablespoon of Flaxseed.
½ Teaspoon of Baking Powder.
¼ Teaspoon of Ground Cinnamon.
1/8 Teaspoon of Baking Soda.
1 Pinch of Salt.
1 Separated Egg Yolk/Egg White.
½ a Cup of Buttermilk.
1 Tablespoon of Brown Sugar.
1 Tablespoon of Canola Oil.
½ Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract.
- 20-Minute Preparation Time.
- Recipe Makes 4 Pancakes.
- Sift the Flour, Oats, Flaxseed, Baking Powder, Cinnamon, Baking Soda and Salt into a container.
- Whisk and blend the Egg Yolk, Buttermilk, Brown Sugar, Canola Oil and Vanilla Extract in a separate large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, Whisk the Egg White until stiff.
- With a large wooden spoon, stir all the wet ingredients into each other, then stir all the dry ingredients into the wet mixture until a viscous pourable batter forms.
- Heat up a pan or griddle to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (5 Notches on a Gas Stove), and glisten it with a very thin layer of vegetable oil or cooking spray.
- Pour a ¼ cup of batter onto the hot griddle to form a round cake and let it cook until bubbles from on the top.
- Once bubbles evenly cover the top of the cake, flip it over to the other side with a spatula and let the second side cook until it turns golden brown.
- Stack each pancake onto a plate and serve when ready.
Check out more of RISE Programs’ Blogs for helpful advice on healthy living, and remember to spread the word by sharing this post. If you like what you just read from our blog, you’ll love our many informative workshops and events listed on Eventbrite: https://www.eventbrite.com/o/rise-programs-10789866034 Join RISE Programs any time to learn how to break past your daily struggles and start soaring in success.